Thursday 14 April 2011

Unable to Breathe

So in true Malaysian fashion it rained last night – night swim plans were of course cancelled.  So instead, I headed to the mall.  I mean what else is a Malaysian to do at night? The mall was packed. 
On the way home, I decided to take a cab. Now I am the first person to admit that I totally over-hyped the risks posed by swimming near bats.  However this cab posed an actual risk to my life: the cab driver must have been a chain smoker and the entire cab reeked of tobacco.   For reference, my cab ride is less than 4 minutes.  But in that short amount of time my eyes started burning, my nose became clogged, I started to get dizzy, and I contemplated opening the door and rolling out of the cab as he drove down the street (like they do in movies) – although yes, I could also have asked him to just stop the car… maybe that would be more realistic.  So what did I do – what would any rational person do – I rolled down the window.   I just couldn’t take it anymore.  Of course I thought the driver would be appreciative – I mean shouldn’t he be thankful for some fresh air? But no, instead he gave me such a mean look through the rear view mirror. 
Honestly I just don’t get it.  A note to the smokers of the world – yes, we are all aware that you smoke, and yes, we can smell your smoke stench even after you are gone (especially in elevators).  Please be considerate.  Just chew Nicorette J

4 comments:

  1. Just so u know, some cab drivers in Malaysia are inconsiderate like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always feel insecure towards the cabbies here. I don't trust them. Emmie, never take a cab on your own okay!

    By the way, I was imagining you rolling out of the car while the car was moving. Hmmm... just remember to cover your face with your ruggard bag so that you would protect your face while rolling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dont take cab at nite too! Just as cab drivers being choosy on the passengers, you too can be a choosy passenger. Never get on a cab that doesn't use meter or cab drivers who looks dodgy. Be careful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. its hard when im unable to subsribe to any post cause ill always be like, the last one to know..hehe.. sorry Emily..

    yea, ive never ever take any cab here in msia at nite. id rather take the LRT and walk

    Hachiko

    ReplyDelete