Wednesday 27 April 2011

Can I Have Another Cab Please?

In continuation of my assessment of the cab situation in KL, I have one more gripe to log:
What is up with cabbies waiting until they have passengers in their car before deciding to get gas? I have only been here for a little over 3 months, and I have already been in 2 cabs where the driver ‘asks’ me if he can get gas on the way to my destination.  No is there really a choice? The first time I said ok – I was new to the area and wanted to be nice.  Little did I realise that he would go to a station with a 10 minute line of cabs waiting to get gas.  And of course, he kept the meter running!!!  So I paid 3-4 extra ringgits as a result of this poor mistake.  The second time it happened I said no – I’m not ok with you getting gas.  At which point the driver said that if we didn’t get gas then he couldn’t get to my place.  This is a sheer lie – as my place was literally 2 minutes away, and we had to wait in line for the pump for 5 minutes – with the car running.  This time I thought I would be smart – and I asked the driver to stop the meter.  But he just smiled and said to not worry about it. So, I internally calculated how much extra the price was as a result of the stop, and ended up paying 2 ringgit less than the total (as that was how much the meter ran while we were waiting).  I feel justified, as I already had to pay with my time and didn’t want to pay with my money.  I think cabbies do this on purpose to raise their fares.  I mean think about it – they are always in long queues to get passengers.  All this time waiting could be better spent in getting your gas before going to queue.   

1 comment:

  1. Like the other day when he made a U-turn so that we won't have to cross the road, 'its dangerous'he said.....wonder that was on purpose or he genuinely cares for us...who knows...

    ReplyDelete