Monday 6 June 2011

Stingray Anyone?

So today for lunch I tried something new... Stingray!! Just to be honest, I didn't know what I was ordering until after I purchased it. 

In the US, I'm not aware of anyone who eats it.  My ONLY two experiences with stingrays are when (1) my mother was stung in Galveston one summer when I was small, and (2) hearing that a stingray resulted in the untimely death of Steve Irwin, the Crocodile Hunter, in 2006.  Thus, stingrays to me are ruthless predators - leaving unpleasant memories at best.  So, I wasn't compelled to eat it.  I mean "you are what you eat" right?  And I want people to like me. :-) 

So this brings us back to lunch.  My co-workers assured me that I would be fine - that stingray was edible, and even quite tasty.  After taking pictures, and getting my courage up, I dove in.  The results were quite surprising.  It was actually delicious!!  The meat was tender and flaky - almost like a mix between crab and lobster.  I wasn't able to taste the meat on a stand-alone basis, as the sauce it was cooked in permeated the meat.  However, after this experience, I'm definitely open to eating it again.

Apparently it's best grilled - which would allow me to get a full dose of the flavour.  I'll start looking out for it, and update once I have tried it.

3 comments:

  1. That's just stingray u know....there's terubuk also, countless bones but very tasty...yes I agree that you shud try it grilled...mmm yummeh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aiyoh, terubuk..yummeh emily.. EPIC.. simple food can taste more than a million bucks sometimes - minus the money

    Goofinesh Colleagues

    ReplyDelete
  3. FYI Em, "aiyoh" is another malaysian lingo u have to learn. :)

    ReplyDelete